ICE IRC SX Chain Tensioner
ICE IRC SX Chain Tensioner
Remember the 2021 ICE IRC (Ice Roller Coaster) Chain Tensioner? It was one of the first chain tensioners to ‘hang’ from the rear drop out/axel to take up slack in your chain … well, either way, the French brand has just released its successor into the market. The ICE IRC SX tensioner.
The tensioner consists of two main parts, the ‘horizontal’ part, which for all intents and purposes is a traditional chain tensioner and can be used independently. The second part is the vertical ‘swing arm’, which can only be used with the accompanying ‘horizontal’ part.
The main purpose of the ICE IRC SX tensioner, like other tensioners in the genre, is to eliminate tight spots in your chain, and to facilitate gear changes without the need to reposition the rear wheel.
The ICE IRC SX tensioner comes in two variations; Type 1: for 10 and 15mm dropouts, and Type 2: for 20mm dropouts.
In the words of ICE, the system works by the ‘IRC system creating a permanent tension on the chain thanks to the swingarm which is fixed on a CNC’ed stainless steel axle, articulated using two sealed bearings and a stainless-steel spring. Tension is exerted on the chain via a derailleur pulley (also mounted on a sealed bearing and a stainless-steel axle), which allows great fluidity and reduced resistance when pedalling. Chain line adjustment is made at the derailleur pulley. Fact thus pulley is mounted on an axle, provides precise lateral adjustment. Once the adjustment is optimal, the position of the axle gets locked via a 4mm intra-screw in the swingarm.’
ICE tell us that the Tensioners are ‘universal’, working on ‘most frames on the market’, but without actually having an ICE IRC SX tensioner in our hands, it’s hard to tell exactly how ‘universal’ they are, and how much, left to right adjustment there is to fully dial in your chain alignment. But we’re taking ICE at their word, and think this might me an interesting option for you if you would like this sort of tensioner and your frame didn’t come with one specifically designed for it.
The main features include:
– Main frame and left side tensioner CNC alloy are adjustable with 2 Stainless steel BTR screws, on each side of the tensioner.
– Z15Cn17 stainless steel CNC body/swingarm junction axle mounted on 2 sealed bearings.
– Heat-treated stainless steel tension spring.
– Light CNC Alloy swing arm.
– Teflon roller, with 2 sealed bearings and a stainless steel Z15Cn17 Axle.
– CNC Alloy pulley (11T) mounted on a sealed bearing.
– Z15Cn17 stainless steel CNC derailleur pulley axle.
– CNC Alloy chain device
– Fully removable with allen keys.
– Weight: 180 g (right + left tensioners).
– IRC SX tensioner is only for 3/32 chains.
More information available over at www.ice-element.com